NATIONAL OLD TRAILS
This road preceded Rt. 66 & the numbered U.S.
highway system. It ran from New York City to Los Angeles, Via Chicago, & from there roughly parallelled
what was to become U.S. 66.
This sign was located at the east edge of Hackberry, where the road made
a sharp curve into town. Thus, west-bound travellers were directed to turn right, & east-bound
travellers were directed to turn left. In 1926, this road became U.S. 66. In the early 1930's, the
current 66 alignment was built, to avoid the wash which, when flowing, was impassable.
for display by Fred Grigg).